Author Topic: Wiper motor for 230SL  (Read 52286 times)

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
Re: Wiper motor for 230SL
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2014, 16:13:56 »
I can't believe I haven't seen this thread before! Awesome journey, welldone for seeig it through. GGR is right, it's the creativity that sets it apart from a standard resto. All of my work is to stamdard spec, but I recently fabricated a custom glove box to accommodate a second (modern) radio and it was the most rewarding part of the whole resto! (well, apart from getting paid of course)...

jedwards

« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2014, 23:17:09 »
Classic Mercedes in the UK has a used one for sale.
http://www.classicmercedesbenz.co.uk

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2014, 00:45:01 »
Has what for sale? A Frankenbenz or a 230SL wiper motor?

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2014, 09:31:28 »
After looking over you photos the only thing that concerns me is the mountings for the front suspension.  When you hit the brakes the forces will be transferred rearward to the frame member behind the axle and also downward at the front bolt where the subframe meets the body. The front axle is going to want to roll under the car.  Please make sure the member that the subframe is bolted to is welded to the vertical steel behind it.  Also make sure the nuts holding the subframe to the body are lock nuts of some type as that would be a really bad place to have a bolt rattle loose. Common aircraft sense would be to have the bolts installed from the top down so if the nut does fall off the bolt does not leave the building.

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2014, 01:40:29 »
frankenbenz,

did you ever post any youtube video/s of your car on the road?

cheers
Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best

frankenbenz

« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2015, 15:22:01 »
It has been a while since I have posted on this thread about the FrankenBenz. The journey since I last posted has been pretty torturous. I'll post more of it when I have some time. As it turns out, the Tuned Port motor that I purchased turned out to be a box of rocks. The guy is STILL on eBay selling junk motors. There are 11 cases against him trying to have him brought up on fraud charges, but the police are absolutely uninterested in prosecuting this guy. The shop I had working on the car ultimately built me a whole new motor, which also didn't work. The main problem was finding somebody that knew how to tune a TPI setup. I actually had the guy from GM that was involved in developing the setup and the computer, and not even he could get the motor to run properly. Ultimately I decided to forego the TPI motor and put an LS3 brand new motor into it with a hot cam and some headers. It is rated at 535 h.p. I'll post some photos when I get the time as well as some of the trials and tribulations of getting it all done. The brake system also had to be completely replaced as did the ignition system. I had tried to use Digital Gard Dawg push button ignitions. I went through FIVE of them, before giving up on them and opting for a starter button. The "ignition" switch is my VIPER system. So I turn off the alarm, press a single on/off button to energize the starter and then press a lighted start button. 100% reliable. I have an independent on/off switch for the accessories.

I just got back from the tuning shop yesterday where I had the car dyno tuned as well as road tuned. With a TKO 5 speed transmission, this car made 422 HP to the wheels with 424 ft. lbs of torque. It is a monster. The weight to power ratio on this thing would easily make it a low 10 second car if you can keep it on the road. Not that I have any plans to track it or race it at all. But it is still very impressive.